To apply, please fill out this form and be prepared to submit materials in PDF format (further instructions below).
ReFrame envisions a world where marginalized communities have the power to shape meaning and material conditions toward justice. Achieving this vision for racial, gender, economic and climate justice requires social movements to work collaboratively to change dominant narratives, lift up shared values and advance visionary solutions. ReFrame is building a new generation of strategists along with the movement infrastructure necessary to craft winning narratives that make social justice “common sense.”
ReFrame is fiscally sponsored by the Proteus Fund who partners with foundations, advocates, and individual donors to advance democracy, human rights, and peace.
ReFrame seeks a collaborative, resourceful person with excellent communication and project management skills to join our team as a Senior Strategist in Signals, a narrative power building program. This position will create, coordinate, support and implement multiple strategies and tactics that advance a progressive, liberatory, and visionary narrative. The ideal candidate is: strategic and visionary while maintaining a high attention to detail and implementation; is energetic and has the ambition and flexibility to thrive in a startup environment.
This is a full-time position that will report to the Signals Program Manager/Director. This is a fully remote position.
Be a part of a team building a human centered narrative infrastructure across social justice movements.
You will work with a growing team of staff and stakeholders who are building a human centered infrastructure across organizations and movements to advance narratives. While executing particular pieces of work, contributing to and supporting the team towards success is the responsibility of everyone.
Develop and Test Prototypes in Real Time
Your responsibilities will include combining machine listening with human intelligence and power building strategies to identify existing or emerging opportunities for narrative shift. This work involves developing and testing prototypes in real time in real conditions, documenting lessons, and quickly iterating models to advance our goals. This includes big listening methodologies, narrative campaign models, and reporting and evaluation models.
Coordinate and Execute Strategy
Your responsibilities will include coordinating influencers, leaders and teams in partner organizations, and centralized and decentralized networks and formations to:
- develop and execute coordinated strategy and tactics collaboratively across narrative space, sectors, issue areas, and geography
- develop, advance and execute messaging and collateral that will advance desired narratives and values across planned activities, media markets, and audience segments
- develop, coordinate and maintain the necessary infrastructure for use by Signals and partner organizations, networks and formations
- respond to rapid response opportunities strategically, collaboratively and deliberately
measure and document the impact of strategies
- advise and collaborate with leadership on narrative and communications strategy including identifying key opportunities or necessary pivots, interventions, or openings
Project Manage Narrative Research, Analysis and Campaigns
You will manage multiple projects and program team leaders to execute narrative research, analysis and campaigns including defining and refining research direction, finalizing strategic insights, leading content production, participating in content creation, and project evaluation. Your responsibilities will include developing project plans, leading and coordinating Signals team members to hit goals on deadline, and reporting progress and roadblocks to the program manager and director.
Build ReFrame and Signals Program
ReFrame is growing and transforming, part of which is the Signals program. Signals is an emergent and iterative project utilizing big listening, strategic communications, digital communications and other change methodologies and tactics to advance narrative change for liberation. You will be a part of contributing to and maintaining a transformative culture that leans into the core values (intersectionality, generosity, curiosity, creative rigor, and organizing) of the organization while creatively and efficiently advancing the organization’s mission, vision, and goals. Within Signals you will be part of developing and cultivating team culture, supporting leadership development, building infrastructure, as well as, testing new technology and methods alongside best practices.
Support ReFrame Catalyst Program
You will work across programs to support ReFrame’s capacity building, training and leadership development program, Catalyst. Working with staff and trainers in this program you will work to make strategic innovations and research accessible and useful for training the next generation of strategists.
You are a builder.
We create containers – curriculum, agendas, relationships, programs – that build the leadership, learning, and strategic acumen of individuals and groups. We also build containers for strategic collaboration and coordination across organizations and interests. You are dedicated to building those around you, and attending to your own leadership development to do this work.
You are values driven.
You are committed to building a better world in a way that brings justice to historically unbalanced power relationships at the individual and systemic level. You know that justice is not only a destination but also a path.
You value excellence in vision and details.
You can see the larger strategic picture, and you can apply the focused energy to expertly organize and execute the tactics, tasks and details that add up to that picture.
You are an accountable self-starter.
Sometimes you have to ask for permission and sometimes you have to take action and ask for forgiveness later. You are savvy enough to know the difference and seek feedback when you make mistakes.
You bring grit and rigor.
You can create and follow a strategic plan but know when you need to iterate and pivot. You can do this consistently and bring a determined attitude, owning your leadership, and calling your team to honor theirs as well. You are dedicated to the long-term vision and pursue it with resilience and tenacity.
You are curious.
You know your expertise is not static, but dynamic. You are dedicated to growing and learning individually and from others. You are curious about the organizations and the people you work with, you are always seeking out more information, but you don’t let that search get in the way of action.
You are iterative.
Like many organizations in transition from startup to institution, we are sometimes putting the wheels on the bike as we ride it. You are excited to take the right course of action now and set up ways to learn in order to change course where needed to either accomplish goals or set new ones.
- A commitment to progressive and liberatory change, a great work ethic, professionalism, and strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to motivate teams of people across organizations and leadership levels towards common goals and with a shared strategy
- Five or more years of strategic communications experience developing and executing narrative shift strategies which may include digital organizing, communications, culture change work, grassroots organizing, marketing, and/or electoral tactics
- At least 5 years of experience advancing strategy across coalitions and networks
- Experience working with diverse racial, ethnic, gender, sexuality, and class communities and networks
- Advanced proficiency in communications tactics including building communications infrastructure, budgeting, earned media and media monitoring, digital strategy and content, collateral development, ad buys, rapid response protocols, etc.
- Advanced proficiency in project management including managing across leadership levels and organizations, as well as, implementing shared systems and tools
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Spanish or another language is a plus.
- Experience, ability, and desire to work as part of a remote team
- Ability to travel 30% time, once travel is deemed safe
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to work on deadline, adapt to changing situations, handle confidential information, and switch between different projects and tasks on short notice
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent facilitator and relationship builder
- Willingness to lean into your leadership strengths and growing edges
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time position. Starting salary is $70,000. We offer an awesome benefits package including: 401k, robust health and dental insurance, professional development funds, and generous vacation days to attract, retain, and motivate a high-performing and dedicated workforce.
Interested candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three references. Please fill out this form and be prepared to submit materials in PDF format. Please be sure to include your full name in the file extensions as well as the position you are applying for. Please be sure to include your full name in the file extensions as well as the position you are applying for. For example: “Portfolio-FirstName-LastName-SrStrategist-Signals”. Deadline for applications is August 28, 2020.
Proteus Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Proteus encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.