Catalyst Program manager
To apply, please fill out this form and be prepared to submit materials in PDF format (further instructions below).
ReFrame envisions a world where marginalized communities have the power to shape meaning and material conditions toward justice. Achieving this vision for racial, gender, economic and climate justice requires social movements to work collaboratively to change dominant narratives, lift up shared values and advance visionary solutions. ReFrame is building a new generation of strategists along with the movement infrastructure necessary to craft winning narratives that make social justice “common sense.”
ReFrame is fiscally sponsored by the Proteus Fund who partners with foundations, advocates, and individual donors to advance democracy, human rights, and peace.
ReFrame seeks a Program Manager to act as the second in command to the Program Director for ReFrame’s strategy research, design, and action program, Catalyst. They contribute to setting program plans based on strategies developed by the Program Director, manage daily program implementation and supervise program staff.
ReFrame’s Catalyst program is where we train individuals and grow the capacity or organizations, coalitions and networks to engage strategic practices and advance narratives for justice and freedom.
Manage a program and team towards success
The Program Manager is responsible for developing, maintaining, and implementing program plans for Catalyst, including project plans for the entire program streams, including Academies, Mentorships, Fellowships, one off training, and partner training. The Program Manager will ensure the smooth and proper functioning of the program by:
- Managing daily operation and functioning of the program team that is training and building the capacity of activists, organizers, communicators, influencers, and leaders to build narrative power
- Managing the Catalyst program to develop new training programs based on opportunities presented by organizational leadership
- Communicating with internal and external stakeholders
- Facilitating planning and program meeting in addition to developing staff, alumni, consultants to facilitate and lead ReFrame workshops and trainings
- Supervising and motivating relevant Catalyst team members which includes providing opportunities for leadership and professional development goals and activities that contribute to individual growth, and growth of the team’s skills
Act as a strong ambassador
The Program Manager advances ReFrame values, vision, internally and with external partners.. The Program Manager must have strong boundaries, emotional intelligence, discernment, and the ability to manage relationships with a movement building perspective.
Act as an organizational steward
ReFrame is in a time of growth and transformation. You will be a part of developing a transformative culture that leans into the core values (intersectionality, generosity, curiosity, creative rigor, and organizing) of the organization while creatively and efficiently advancing the organization’s mission, vision, and goals. This includes participating in the senior strategy team of the organization.
The Program Manager works with their program team to measure the impact of their program and communicate to staff and external partners. The Program Manager collaborates with other programs to analyze and implement lessons and inform training and capacity building programs based on lessons in narrative research and campaigns.
You are a builder.
We create containers that build the leadership, learning, and strategic acumen of individuals and groups. We also build containers for strategic collaboration and coordination across organizations and interests. You are dedicated to building a program team that is successful in accomplishing goals, while also building the leadership of the team and living the values of the organization.
You are a strategist.
You understand that strategy is a practice, not a plan. You have extensive experience developing strategies for success, regardless of domain.
You are responsible.
As a leader in an organization you have to own your work and own the work of the people around you. You own the success of your team and you also take responsibility for when your team falls short. You know the balance between autonomy and micromanagement and you can maintain it well.
You are curious.
You know your expertise is not static, but dynamic. You are dedicated to growing and learning as an individual and an organization. You are curious about the organizations and the people you work with, you are always seeking out more information, but you don’t let that search get in the way of action.
You are an action taker
While you are curious you know that in order to accomplish goals you have to move forward. You bring forward momentum to your work and to the work of the organization, actively moving projects and programs forward from conception through completion. You seek out new opportunities and partnerships for forward movement.
You value excellence in vision and details.
You can see the larger strategic picture, and you can apply the focused energy to expertly organize and execute the tactics, tasks and details that add up to that picture.
You are values driven.
You are committed to building a better world in a way that brings justice to historically unbalanced power relationships at the individual and systemic level. You know that justice is not only a destination, but also the path.
- 5+ years in strategy development and implementation
- 4+ in facilitating and training
- 2+ years in supervising people
- 2+ years managing teams
- Demonstrated expertise in translating strategy and goals into program plans and practical action
- Demonstrated ability in facilitation and training in addition to training others in facilitation and training
- Demonstrated ability in translating strategy and goals into program plans and practical action
- Proven ability to problem-solve and work with strong attention to detail
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications, along with the use of a variety of technologies for use in research, production, and campaigning.
- production, and campaigning.
- Experience with, or willingness to become a power user of, distributed team workflow management and communication applications such as Slack, Asana, Zoom, etc.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time position. Starting salary is $85,000 – $92,000. We offer an awesome benefits package including:
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible dependants available on first day of work
- Retirement savings account (401k) with an organization contribution
- Three weeks paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
- Fifteen sick days per year
- Three personal days per year
- Twelve paid holidays
- Professional development initiatives for growth
- Paid Family Leave
Interested candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. Please fill out this form and be prepared to submit materials in PDF format. Please be sure to include your full name in the file extensions as well as the position you are applying for. For example: “Portfolio-FirstName-LastName-CatalystManager”. Deadline for applications is January 11th.
Proteus Fund is an equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Proteus Fund, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.